Stay up to date on all of our dental news and tips!
Choosing a Dentist For Your Family in Lake in the Hills, IL
When researching a dentist for your family, there are several things to consider before deciding which dentist is going to be the best fit for your family. You will want to know how the dental staff and dentist interact with children and if they are experienced in treating people of all ages. Finding a friendly, comforting dental office to introduce your child to can give them the foundation they need to carry on good oral hygiene habits and schedule routine appointments throughout their lives. Going to an appointment altogether as a family can put everyone’s minds at ease and help the youngest members of your family know that if mom and dad go to the dentist, it must be important.
How to pick a dentist
- First, determine that the dentist offers pediatric dental services in addition to seeing adult patients as well.
- Be sure to ask friends and family for recommendations. You can also look for reviews on dental offices but this can be more time-consuming than a word-of-mouth recommendation.
- Once you find a few possibilities, ask for a consultation so you can take your family to the office, meet the staff, and see the waiting room without having a dental exam at the time. This is an excellent way to ease any initial fears of the unknown for family members who are unfamiliar with dental offices.
How to talk to your child about oral hygiene
Children can have different ways of processing information and ultimately, learning new habits and lessons. First, explaining to your children why oral hygiene is important can go a long way. Using phrases like, “Keeping our teeth clean so our mouths stay healthy is just as important as keeping our bodies clean. And just like other soap, toothpaste is a special soap for our mouths. We never swallow soap and that includes toothpaste.” Also, tell your children:
- What happens when your teeth are neglected and show them pictures of cavities or other examples of poor oral health
- What a cavity is
- What plaque is and what it feels like on your teeth
- The importance of brushing your tongue
- How food can get stuck between teeth and need to be flossed.
Practicing good oral hygiene at home will show your children the importance of maintaining a clean mouth. Going to regular dental appointments will seem like just another piece of the puzzle to keep their mouths clean.
Using the same dental office for all members of the family will create a comforting familiarity with the staff and surroundings. For a family-friendly dentist in Lake in the Hills, IL, give Aristo Dental a call today! The husband and wife duo dentists, Dr. Giovanni and Dr. Sandra Aristodemo know the importance of doing things as a family and are excited to welcome your family at every dental appointment.